13 March 2005

The Heart Of The Beast----Page 2

God begs humanity to believe. If only
out of pity. God could die of loneliness
otherwise. Trampled by the onward rush
of creation. Seduced by grandeur and
reduced to a frustrated voyeurism.
Fanaticism on parade. Prelude to a war
of alchemy. Distrustful of an innocent
glance. The smell of a rabid animal's
loins.
Was it fate or recklessness that
brought me here? Staring over the cliff
of incredulity. The rejection of the
modern world. The stink of industrialism
rising from the storm drains. The pain
of progress.
Freedom of the will. The ultimate curse
of humanity. The rejection of the hive
mentality. The responsibility of cruelty and
love.
As I walk the streets I wonder
if so many have suffered for so little
or if the answer lies in a bright blue sky
littered with white clouds. I stop and
notice the rusted shell of humanity sitting
discarded in the corner of a vacant lot.
The wind runs through my hair. The sun
shines on my face. The gargoyles of my
mind take a lunch break. I forgive
the tree roots bursting through the
sidewalk. But does the earth forgive
us for binding it with concrete
and holding hostage a world?