13 March 2005

The Heart Of The Beast----Page 12

Sitting on a balcony waiting for the
night. An animal instinct took over my heart
and emotions and left me floundering in the
wind. Is blood flowing through our veins all
that it takes? There was a time when the
bond felt strong enough to help us weather
the fiercest storm. And a time when it
was weak enough to splinter into shards of
glass glistening in the sun.
Damn the circumstance that lead to
all of this. It seemed as random as an
avalanche burying us alive. Roses withering
in the arid breeze. Lost in the fields of
hope. The desires that overpower us. The
battlefield that is yesterday. The wounds
that are partially healed. The limited range
of a previous life. And the mistakes that
drove a stake into the heart of our existence.
I take my share of the blame for paradise
lost. Perhaps the lion's share.
Sometimes a candle is lit in the room of
our transgressions. And we can see in hindsight
how we lost our way. We can salvage today
and dream of tomorrow, but forever have lost
yesterday. As I walked down the street you
cared enough to ask if I was alright. I said
yes. And I don't know if I lied. We had
our time like the sunflowers dying on the
canvas. I could not face the end. And
when I was too weak to walk, like some
kind of Christ you carried me. To a
special place on the shoreline.