13 March 2005

The Heart Of The Beast----Page 11

The pain of life has us by the balls.
I don't pretend to know why. Except
someone said that the heat of the stove had
to punish the soup until the soup was edible.
Eat the cold soup and take your chances.
We are like soup. Bubbling in the pot with
all of our rancid dreams.
I saw you standing in pools of blood and
pain. And I wondered what it must have been
like. Praying to a dead man. Receiving flowers
from kings. You came up from behind me. And
pushed your body against mine. If I could
stand there with you today all pain would be
eclipsed by your love.
Stumbling out through the doorway and down
the street I felt a strange intuition
capture my soul. I felt our hands locked
and our spirits entwined. The sun and the
wind intersecting in our souls. I know you.
I see you when the leaves flutter in the
breeze.
I felt a savage reprisal gaining momentum
and force within my heart. I held your hand
and looked into your eyes. I saw the death
of a million yesterdays and the birth of a
single tomorrow. And the sadness permeated
our lives. Consolidated our hopes. And lit the
fire of our emotion.
I stand on the beach of a passionate sea.
And you know what that means. Take me
down to a place on the shore where we can
stand in each other's light.