13 March 2005

The Heart Of The Beast----Page 24

I saw the look in your eyes like a
trapped animal. Disbelief in your gaze regarding
the circumstances that had befallen your days.
Society was demanding vengeance for a supposed
action. Or was it vengeance for a supposed
inaction? Who could be sure? Of course the
political compromise would benefit those who
pursued you. And you would be inconvenienced
to a degree.
The dark beauty appeared like an angel in
our midst. Her penetrating eyes piercing our
hearts like arrows. A perfect visage to launch
a thousand dreams. Life was suddenly worth
living. Suffering had purpose. The struggle to
survive was eclipsed by her primal beauty.
Remember me? The savage beast cried.
For how long were you planning on forsaking
me for the mediocrity of the mundane
world? How dare you cower in the shadows
of propriety while I languish in the sun
of aesthetic lust alone? Rise out of the
ashes of yesterday and greet the rising star
of tomorrow.
I dragged myself to the rocks near
the shoreline. My hands and knees were bloody
from the effort. Seating myself on a jagged
cliff I stared out towards the horizon. I
searched for any clue to my fate. The brightness
of the sea and the sky blinded the clarity
of my vision. The foggy haze left me unsure
of the future. I entered the darkest abyss
of my mind and pressed on regardless.