13 March 2005

The Heart Of The Beast----Page 25

Tender were your years. I could see it in
your eyes and your smile. Also in your tears.
Fragile was your heart, but resilient was your
spirit even as your world crumbled at your
feet. The savage glow in your eyes gave birth
to a glorious cacophony that rang out throughout
the land in sonic waves of spun gold. I saw
the full colors of the spectrum in your presence.
From a golden sun to a violet sea. I threw
myself into the bright ocean of your eyes.
I stood on the bank of the river and
stared at the muddy waters. Observing a scene
similar to that from where all life sprang. It
seemed irreversible the way the water flowed
unabated, just as the life force rushes on without
much thought or consent. The stars were overhead
giving faint light and quiet witness to life on
Earth. Did they approve of our teeming agitation
or were they beyond such contemplation? I wondered
if I could ever know.
Could I take you by the hand and finally
understand the mystery? Would the cool soft
dampness unlock a secret? Would I only find the
crushing sadness of your reverie? All nights are a
night to remember. All nights are as identifiable as
snowflakes. To feel the breeze from the open
window. To be spent as the day was spent. To
make something from time is the same as to
make something from life. The warm embrace
of the dawn reminds me of you. The blood
on our hands only serves to bond us closer
than before.