13 March 2005

The Heart Of The Beast----Page 32

The razor's edge sliced through the desert
and into the hearts of the many who had left
behind their past lives to become a part of the
burning sand. The fog of the morning slipped
away without warning as the heat of the sun
rose to rule the afternoon. I looked upon the
searchers who had left the mainstream of society
behind to take their journey to the edge of the
new world. To the last shoreline on earth. To
sweat it out with the rest of us on the last
precipice. I saw the hope and idealism there.
The blinding sun changed the scent of our skins
as we wrestled with everything that could not be
forgotten. And we will meet our destiny among
the ruins of the New Babylon.
It took guts to face the sunset. To rise
up and walk towards the waning sun and into the
night. But the glory and splendor that could be
found there! In the ragged nocturnal light.
I saw the harm and I saw the good. I saw
the broken hearted and I saw the joyous.
The desperate and the celebrated. The human
parade. Why did I feel drawn to these streets?
Where the people showed their souls without
concern? Where I wandered amidst heartache
and excess? Where the smile of a child seemed
strangely sacrosanct? Take my own personal
demons and lay them on the cracked boulevards.
Destroy the last feelings of insecurity on the
rocks of revolution. I saw you standing on
the corner of my mind and I wondered why
you were always by my side.