13 March 2005

The Heart Of The Beast----Page 27

The temptation to dive into the pounding
surf of a roaring ocean engulfed me. But what
of the consequences? Could I at this point
risk everything to conquer the unknown? How would
it affect those around me? I stared at the foam
and spray of the receding tide. And longed for
another chance. As if the temptation of abandon
was life itself. The call of the siren was still
ringing in my ears. Haunting me by day and night
ever since I first heard the sound.
It felt good to be alive, the sun shining on
my face, no matter which path I chose. And I
felt a new camaraderie with my companions. New
and fresher than before. I did not know why
these brighter feelings had transpired, but I was
determined to exploit their joy, as one sucks the
juice from ripened fruit. I had decisions to make,
but felt so malleable, that if circumstances were
thrust upon me by another, I would play along.
To a certain extent. Or would I?
Changes were approaching so rapidly as if to
leave me dizzy. But I had a very strong urge
to ride out the storm. Come what may. Curiosity
was getting the better of me, and restlessness
was weighing upon my mind. The last remaining
phantoms of doubt and denial were fading into the
shadows as the sun showed another path. I would
proceed cautiously, but not without excitement.
Perhaps the answer that I was looking for
was not too far off in the distance. I braced
myself to experience what was awaiting me
not so much farther down the line.