13 March 2005

The Heart Of The Beast----Page 23

You were having a hard time, so we joined
forces temporarily. It seemed like a lifetime.
You helped me out in certain ways and I helped
you out in certain ways. The disintegration of
your family seemed to send your life spinning
out on a wild tangent. For a while I could
deal with it, but then you grew so demanding
that I had to cut you loose. I heard from
you sporadically for several years and then you
were silent. I often wondered if you remained
fallen.
There was a time and a place where the
night seemed magical and full of wonder. I
was living a double life. Although there was
nothing nefariously immoral about it, certain aspects
of my life were separated into compartments
that rarely touched each other. Certain hours were
spent earning money and certain hours were spent
spending it in pursuit of an agenda bursting
with dreams. The night was an adventure that
propelled our lives forward starting with the
first signs of dusk.
The night blessed me and folded me into a
slumber where I could explore the rugged
terrain of my visions. I walked to the end of
the road by the railroad tracks and caught a
shadowy glimpse of the future. It was up to me.
Up to me to search the alleys and highways for
a piece of beauty and a taste of truth. Along
the way I met fellow seekers. Our journeys
together make up some of my most pleasant
memories. Even though this world isolates us.